Just a quick post today. I’m on a roll with the salads and lighter fare lately! Maybe it’s the warm weather, or maybe it’s because Richard is away? I find that when I am alone, I tend to eat almost entirely vegetarian cuisine, completely without thought. I guess my brain doesn’t think “meat” when I’m alone.
But it does still think “comfort food” which is why I really love this salad. Not only does it have some unusual flavors in the tahini and miso paste, but it’s got the warmth and hearty sweet potatoes. It’s the kind of salad that works well in the summer and winter – it’s easy like that.
Now, the only thing to be careful of is the tahini. Not everyone will like it – it’s a bit… bitter? Maybe it’s just the lemon juice. I really like tahini but I can imagine that it’s not to everyone’s taste. However, it is the star of this dressing, so don’t bother making it if you’re not a fan.
Feel free to adjust the amounts of red onion and parsley to your heart’s content – same with the potatoes and chickpeas. The great thing about salads is that you can simply make them however you want, it’ll work. Feel free to throw in other things too! I think some toasted chickpeas would do nicely – don’t you?
Warm Sweet Potato, Chickpea + Tahini Salad
- 1 kg sweet potato cut into cubes
- Oil for roasting
- 426 ml can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 0.25-0.5 of a red onion finely chopped
- 0.25-0.5 cup chopped parsley
- For the Dressing:
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 0.25 cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp miso paste optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potato with some oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, mash the garlic with some salt and pepper until you get a smooth paste.
- Add the lemon juice, tahini and miso and mix together. Add the water and olive oil whisk to combine. Add more water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Assemble the salad while the potatoes are still warm, and enjoy!