Okay, it’s been a quite a while since I updated you guys on the progress here in the kitchen. So long that I have actually been asked if it’s done yet (nope!). And as for where we”re at? Well, after Richard left for a month away due to work, kitchen progress sort of stalled. I ordered a bunch of stuff, but haven’t really made any progress.
As for what we have done since I last blogged about it? Well, we finally have a functioning kitchen again!
After we patched all the holes in the walls, and cleaned up from demolition, it was time to paint! We had chosen Barest Hush by Valspar to be the colour for our walls. We tested a couple of swatches, but Richard was worried they would be too dark, so we settled on this option. My goal was to have a grey tinted green that didn’t read too strong either way. As our living room is grey, I didn’t want the whole place to feel the same. But of course, I also didn’t want too bright of a colour, as I tend to prefer more muted walls. Let the colour come from the furnishings, in my humble opinion.
Valspar’s Barest Hush
For the cabinets and trim, we are sticking with our tried and true All White by Farrow & Ball, colour matched to Valspar paint. This time around we went with their premium paint, as it was the most scrubbable option. It also comes with a built in primer, so win-win! However, due to time we didn’t get around to painting the cabinets, just yet. That’s a job for another day. Or month… year… sigh. Procrastination is real folks.
After painting the walls, we put the pot racks back up, and got to tackling the cabinets. Originally, our kitchen had only three upper cabinets – two on the right of the range hood, and one on the left. As I mentioned before, we had planned to simply add three more cabinets above our original ones, and paint them all to match. But instead, we ordered eight of the METOD cabinets – four of the 60×60 size, three 60×80, and one 60×40. The four 60×60 cabinets were the top row, with the 60×80 replacing our existing cabinets. In order to add the MAXIMERA drawers, we ordered all 60×60 doors, and the remaining 20cm of the cabinet became the drawer. The final 60×40 cabinet sits above the new LAGAN range hood.
Quite a lot of new storage eh?
Installing the new cabinets was another point where things took much (much!) longer than it should have. The IKEA rails were fairly simple to cut and line up, but then we started having issues.
See, we ended up back in the same place as before, dealing with old walls. We couldn’t seem to find consistent studs in the walls, and our expansion screws weren’t working in the crumbling plaster. This meant that we had to go grab some spring toggle screws from Screwfix… only the first set we brought home were the wrong length for our wall thickness – darn! I think Richard had to make three trips that day just to get the screws we needed. Every time we tried one set, there was something wrong with it.
We ended up putting in more screws than IKEA said to, as every now and then we would hit a stud, or have to move to a new hole. We just put up as many as we could (that were secure). The more the merrier, right?
Soo many screws
Once we got the rails up (finally), it was a simple matter of hanging the cabinets. Of course, because our walls aren’t perfectly smooth, the cabinets wouldn’t line up perfectly. IKEA recommends that you screw the cabinets together for stability, which we did. It also solved most of our problem with the cabinets not lining up. Just a simple matter of clamping them together, and then two screws in between the holes for the shelves.
The only thing not quite so simple to put up, was the range hood. We decided to replace the one we had (even though it worked okay) with an under cabinet version so that we could add two more cabinets to the mix. It just felt like too much wasted space in such a tiny kitchen. While the installation was relatively easy for the range hood, it came with a plug, but ours had originally been wired in to a fuse box. All it meant was that we cut off the plug, stripped back the wires, and wired it into a new white fuse box. Then we cut a hole in the back of one of the cabinets, so that we would have access to the fuse, should we ever need to replace it.
We sort of sandwiched the new fuse box on the back of the cabinet, and then it sits in the original recess that the old one had. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone, but we did it like months ago and I am forgetting details… I also forgot to take a photo of it inside the cabinet.
After the cabinets were all screwed together, and the range hood up, it was a simple matter of putting in the shelves, and attaching the doors. Of course, IKEA put silly stickers right where the hinges needed to go, and they are the type that are ridiculous to remove! Coconut oil to the rescue! Just rub a bit of that on to the sticker and it comes away so easily.
The hinges for the cabinets were really simple to install, and I only wish that I had got the 90 degree ones. The ones we bought open a bit wider (I think they are 110 or 120 degrees). When we were ordering them, I thought that would be a good thing, however it means that the doors want to open into the walls and window. Oh well!
We finally have drawers!!! So exciting!
Now this is pretty much where we got to before Richard had to go away for work. We managed to put our kitchen back together, and use it for a little while. Next steps are to add some trim around the cabinets in order to make it all built in, and then paint all the doors and trim to match.
I’ve ordered the tiles and hardware, so the only thing we’re waiting for is for me to get off my lazy butt and trim out these cabinets! But of course, Richard is now back in England, so hopefully he’ll be the motivation I need…